POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This year's new vintage : Re: This year's new vintage Server Time
17 May 2024 23:06:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This year's new vintage
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 10 Jul 2008 16:40:08
Message: <487673a8$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 21:31:22 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> Doctor John wrote:
>> http://www.winehq.org/?announce=1.0-rc1
>>
>> I think a few tasting sessions are in order.
>
> Hmm... "This is realise 1.0-rc1 of Wine, a free implementation of
> Windows on Unix." Would that not, by definition, be illegal?

No.  Because it's not an implementation of *Windows*, it's an
implementation of Windows APIs using clean-room reverse engineering.
There's nothing illegal about that.

That's how Compaq built IBM compatible PCs - clean room reverse
engineering of the BIOS.

> Sometimes
> tastes fishy here...

Not at all.  The project is at least 12 years old....

Jim